Eden District Council is providing £30,000 of funding to support local business growth and expansion in the area. The money will be used as match funding by Cumbria Chamber of Commerce for a European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) project, which will provide support for new businesses and businesses wishing to develop within Eden District. Similar initiatives have already been agreed in Allerdale, Barrow, Carlisle and South Lakeland.
Eden District Council’s Business and Marketing Officer, Paul Walker, said: “Supporting a strong economy is a key priority for Eden District Council. We currently support businesses under the banner Invest in Eden. This partnership will allow us to increase the level of support available in our district and also support a wider range of business sectors.”
A range of business advice and support is available to existing businesses and for those looking to start a new business, whether as a self-employed individual or something bigger. This is tailored to individual need.
For potential start-ups and young businesses it includes for example:
- Outreach activity in local communities to encourage individuals and groups to consider starting in business (including social enterprises)
- Experienced generalist start-up advisers and specialists in topics such as marketing, finance, HR and digital
- A £1,000 subsidy which can be used towards marketing consultancy, web development, accountancy advice and more
- Access to other available advice, training and funding to complement that available through this initiative
Established businesses can benefit from, for example:
- Review of business needs, challenges and opportunities leading to a personalised action plan
- One-to-one advice and coaching from experienced generalist and specialist advisors, covering a range of business topics
- A subsidy of up to £2,000 which can be used towards marketing consultancy, web development, accountancy and more
- Cumbria Forum, an intensive development programme offered by the Lancaster University Management School
- Access to other available advice, training and funding in a co-ordinated package of support
Suzanne Caldwell, Deputy Chief Executive of Cumbria Chamber of Commerce, said: “We’re delighted to be working with Eden District Council on this initiative, which we know from experience working with businesses throughout Eden over many years. There are great businesses throughout the area and we’re looking forward to working together as partners to help these become even more successful, to support others to flourish and new ones to start and thrive.”
The funding from Eden District Council is initially for a year, with the opportunity for the Council to continue its support for this project if it proves to be successful.
For more information about the business advice and support available in Eden District visit www.investineden.co.uk or call Eden District Council 01768 817817 or visit www.cumbriachamber.co.uk